The Musco Family Olive Co., a privately-held, family business based in Tracy, Calif., is the leading supplier of table olives in America. Two of the company’s brands command more than 55 percent of the total national branded market share. One of two primary olive canners in America, Musco takes in nearly half of the 29,000-acre California olive crop, contracting with more than 250 growers. At the same time, the U.S. olive industry faces challenges and competition from international imports.
In 2011, the company was honored as a “California 2011 Leader in Innovation in Energy and Agriculture” by Grow-California for its cutting-edge approach to business with a positive impact on California’s agricultural industry and economy. Musco earned the “Game Changer of the Year” award for its most recent initiative – the Renewable Energy and Wastewater System (RENEWS). Through this system, more than 15 tons of olive pits, previously considered solid waste, are converted to carbon-neutral heat energy each day. Energy from the pits is used to evaporate wastewater and to drive the largest industrial steam engine in the United States at Musco’s headquarters.
- Quickly position Musco as an innovative leader worthy of feature media attention in advance of the California Agriculture Innovation Conference.
- Earn feature, non-roundup media coverage to showcase Musco as the leading provider of branded table olives.
- Highlight Musco’s family legacy and evolving corporate commitment to environmental stewardship.
- Promote the company’s RENEWS innovations and its investments in environmentally-responsible practices.
- Develop compelling communications materials to succinctly tell the Musco and RENEWS story for conference attendees and media.
- Personally invite leading agricultural media to a behind-the-scenes tour of the Musco facility.
- In just a few weeks’ time, secured in-depth print and broadcast feature stories that resulted in more than 3.5 million potential impressions.
- Eighty-eight percent of coverage featured the brand exclusively.
- Fineman PR also succeeded in owning share of conversation for Musco in relation to the Grow-California event itself. Earned coverage featuring Musco trumped general event coverage by 60 percent.